Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nature and Art

Well, I found an art class for kids online and thought I would try it out.  Since the class for kids in the girls' age group was at 3:30, I needed to find something quick to occupy their morning.  After a trip to the library to get a prize for reading another 15 books, we stopped at the Susan Hambley Nature Center in Brunswick.  On some Wednesdays (I think just in the summer), they have special events for kids.  When we got there, there were games set up outside.  Inside, they had some sort of animal show at 1:00 (the girls were not interested) and they had a craft, where they got to make turtles, which turned out pretty cute.  If you are Monica Shaheen...I would strongly advise you not to go, as there are snakes here!  The nature center is a log cabin and inside, there are some animals...turtles, snakes and fish.  They have what I think is a stuffed deer and coyote...There are rocking chairs as well.  When you go outside, there is a trail (I think it is 1/2 a mile).  It is all shaded, so even if it is hot out, the trail isn't bad.  It is all free!  The nature center is located at 143 Parschen Blvd, in Brunswick.  You can find information at www.medinacountyparks.com.  They are open Wednesday-Sunday.

                                                    Susan Hambley Nature Center
                                                    One of the games that was set up
                                                    The turtle craft that was set up
                                                    The peaceful trail

So, back to the art class.  We took the kids to an art class at The Light Academy.  They are located at 21446 Lorain Rd. in Fairview Park.  The class was $16 and lasted an hour.  The kids painted some things-we were allowed to leave and the teacher played music and let them create...They made a painting with water bottles and also made flowers out of paper towel rolls.  Did I mention that we didn't have to stay??  The class was for kids ages 3-6, but they also have classes for older kids, and I think a mommy and me type class.  They also told me about their Yoga classes.  The kids would be in the fairy class, where they get to wear tutus and do Yoga.  I don't think that this is something my kids will miss out on...though I do have to buy them Yoga mats.  It might be worth it.  Last year Kaylee's school offered afterschool programs for kids, which included Yoga.  How fun!

                                          The art area of The Light Academy

Kaylee and Lindsey Rating of Hambley Nature Center: 5/5-the second time we have been here and the girls had a good time.  They enjoy the crafts!
Kaylee and Lindsey Rating of The Light Academy: 5/5-though I don't know what they really did, there were finished products at the end and they said they liked it.  It was something different, and I am glad they got to try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment